The greater part of
human actions have their origin not in logical reasoning but in
Bible apologists have a habit of crediting God for anything they see as good, and ignoring the obviously bad. This report exposes the deadly side of what they call God's moral laws.
There is no argument that there is universal agreement against killing, stealing and lying. Apologists argue that they are moral laws which come from a divine source, that is from outside of ourselves. By labeling them laws, the logic follows that they come from a lawgiver and enforcer: God. And because they come from an absolute authority, it is held that they are absolute moral truths.
This line of reasoning is based on a fallacy known as begging the question: It assumes at the outset what it has established as the conclusion. I.e., the label law implies the existence of a lawmaker: God. Thus, the fact that there is moral order is proof of God's existence. The argument goes in circles.
I'm going to argue that moral behavior is inherent in our social instincts. When we make moral judgments, in effect, we make value judgments. That there are many areas of disagreement is what defines them as value judgments.
There is a practical way to demonstrate the inherent nature of moral behavior: Without them our species would not have gotten to where it is now. On the whole we need each other for what we can't achieve alone; we're social animals. If antisocial behavior was basic to our instincts we would have become extinct long before biblical days. We see social behavior in animals, from ants to monkeys; and they don't function under law. Nay, the majority of the world's population, since the beginning of history, doesn't even believe in a Judeo-Christian God. The theist argument just doesn't hold.
This is a big deal among apologists. For they argue that without God there is no objective standard of right and wrong. Take away this standard, and what you get is a relativistic or morally subjective society. Our godless society is falling apart, they say. It is becoming more and more violent, dishonest, crude, selfish and superficial. Then they recite a litany of things that violate God's law.
What's new? There will always be war and crime at the margins. But on the whole, people go about their affairs peacefully, trying to make the best of every day.
I sense missionary propaganda in their logic. They would have you believe that humans are born tabula rasa and need to be taught right from wrong according to God's laws at an early age. It also follows that childhood is the best time to instill the fear of God so they behave morally into adulthood. But if we act out of fear, then it means that our behavior is guided by slavish obedience, not from natural goodness.
Frankly, we don't reason by objective standards very well. Our thoughts and actions are guided by sentiment. And this is what religious indoctrination plays on: the fear factor. Without fear of some kind of divine punishment, God's laws are meaningless.
Since the Ten Commandments are held as the highest standard of God's laws, it is only fair to examine them to see how they are applied. The list below presents a collection of verses which call for the death penalty. Some even call for child sacrifice.
To put it mildly, they are inferior to subjective standards of right and wrong. By demanding an extreme level of conformity, they can only be enforced with extreme punishment: death.
To put it bluntly, there is nothing objective about them; they are extremely vicious. Apologists are not fit to argue that human society would be better off with God's moral laws.
1. You shall have no other gods before me.
1. Whoever sacrifices to any god but Yahweh shall be utterly destroyed.
2. Sacrifices to Molech - death by stoning.
3. Whoever has gone and served other gods shall be stoned to death.
23 4 5 (Deut. 17:2-5)
4. If someone tries to entice you to serve other gods, you shall stone him to death.
67 8 9 10 (Deut. 13:6-10)
5. If you hear that someone has drawn others out of the city to serve other gods, you shall investigate. If it is true you shall put them to the sword.
1213 14 15 (Deut. 13:12-15)
6. He who does not believe will be condemned.
16He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. (Mark 16:16)
7. You will die for your sins unless you believe that I am he.
24I told you that you would die in your sins, for you will die in your sins unless you believe that I am he." (John 8:24)
2. You shall not make any graven images or any likeness of anything in heaven.
1. Mediums and wizards shall be stoned to death.
2. You shall not permit a sorceress to live.
3. You shall not take the name of God in vain.
1. Blasphemers shall be stoned to death.
2. Blasphemers will not be forgiven in the age to come.
I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the
blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
32And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. (Matt. 12:31-32)
4. Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
Working on the Sabbath is punishable by death.
5. Honor your father and mother.
1. Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death.
2. Whoever curses his father or mother shall be put to death.
3. A stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his parents may be stoned to death.
1819 20 21 (Deut. 21:18-21)
6. You shall not kill.
1. Whoever strikes a man so that he dies shall be put to death.
2. If a man attacks and kills another treacherously, take him from my altar so he may die.
3. If an ox with a violent history kills a man or a woman, its owner shall be put to death.
4. Killing a man gets the death penalty.
5. Killing a beast gets the death penalty.
6. A murderer may be put to death by an avenger.
1617 18 19 20 21 (Num. 35:16-21)
7. Anger and insults to your brother get the same penalty as killing - burning in hell.
have heard that it was said to the men of old, 'You shall not kill; and
whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.'
22But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be liable to the hell of fire. (Matt. 5:21-22)
7. You shall not commit adultery.
1. Adultery with a neighbor's wife - both die.
2. Whoever lies with a beast shall be put to death.
3. Sex with your father's wife - both die.
4. Sex with your daughter-in-law - both die.
5. Male homosexuality - both die.
6. Sex with your mother-in-law; both shall be burned to death.
7. Male sex with an animal - both die.
8. Female sex with an animal; both die.
9. Sex between a man and his aunt - it is not clear if they are to die or if any children produced die.
10. Sex between a man and his sister-in-law - any children produced shall die.
11. If a man charges his wife with non-chastity and if it proves true, she shall be stoned to death.
1314 20 21 (Deut. 22:13-21)
12. If a man has sex with the wife of another man, both shall die.
13. If a man has sex with a virgin in the city, they will be stoned to death because she did not cry for help.
14. If a man rapes a married woman in the open country, only the man shall die because there was no one to rescue the woman.
2526 27 (Deut. 22:25-27)
15. It is better to cut off one of your offending members then to for your whole body to be thrown in hell.
have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.'
28But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
29If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.
30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell. (Matt. 5:27-30)
8. You shall not steal.
1. Whoever steals a man (kidnapping) shall be put do death.
2. Kidnapping and enslaving is punishable by death.
9. You shall not bear false witness.
10. You shall not covet.
You shall give to me the first born of your sons.
You shall redeem the first-born of your sons.
1920 (Ex. 34:19-20)
Any male who is to be devoted to God shall be destroyed.
2829 (Lev. 27:28)
Ten Commandments and Jesus Even Jesus didn't live up to the Ten Commandments.
Hellfire Jesus Jesus was not a good person in any sense of the word.
Moses' Articles of War Good laws cannot come from an evil God.